FESTIVALS: * Byron Bay International Film Festival
* Festival International de Programme Audiovisual (FIPA), Biarritz
* Minneapolis & St Paul Intl Film Festival
* Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, Durham
* Silk Road Film Festival, Ireland
* Mostly British Film Festival, San Francisco
* Persian Film Festival, Sydney
* Chagrin Documentary Film Festival
* Margaret Mead Film Festival, New York
AWARDS: * Audience Award - Sydney Film Festival
* Best Documentary - Canberra International Film Festival
* Finalist Walkley Awards 2015 for Best Documentary
* Finalist Australian Film Critics Award for Best Documentary
* Finalist Australian Editors Guild for Best Editor
* Finalist Australian Dirators Guild for Best Director
Love Marriage in Kabul
Human Interest, Romance, Social Issues, Society, Women, Youth
Running time |
84” - 52’
Bower Bird Films Pty Ltd
Mahboba Rawi, a strong-willed Afghan-Australian woman, and the founder of Mahboba’s Promise, has dedicated her life to helping orphans, widows and schooling girls in Afghanistan. She is the mother figure for thousands of orphans she has rescued.
Abdul, one of these orphans, is in love with Fatemeh, the girl next door. The two have been exchanging romantic letters for over a year and hope to marry one day. But Fatemeh’s father has other plans - he has decided to marry her off to anyone who can offer a large sum of money as her dowry. Devastated, Abdul is hoping when Mahboba arrives for her yearly trip to Kabul, that she will help him again. When Mahboba hears the story, she is very concerned about Abdul, and Fatemeh’s possible fate in a forced marriage, She is determined to make the marriage happen between Abdul and Fatemah.
However, Fatemeh’s father makes demands beyond anyone’s expectations. He won’t let the marriage happen unless Mahboba pays him $10,000 or finds a wife for his eldest son to replace Fatemeh’s role in the household. With nothing to Abdul’s name, the fate of the couple depends entirely on Mahboba’s ability to meet or negotiate the father’s terms. But she only has one month and limited resources.
Love Marriage in Kabul follows the extraordinary quest of Afghan-Australian woman, Mahboba Rawi, as she passionately negotiates and challenges old traditions to make a love marriage happen between an orphan boy she has supported for years and the girl next door.